Welcome to our first grade website!

Take a peek at all the great things we are doing.

View photos, upcoming events, and more.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I PICK Good-Fit Books


Today the children learned how to choose a good-fit book. They learned how to look for a good-fit book in five ways using the acronym I PICK. We will revisit this frequently in the next couple weeks and throughout the school year. Picking a good-fit book is one of the most important things to do in order to become a better reader. 

I PICK

1. I choose a book
2. P urpose - Why do I want to read it?
3. I nterest - Does it interest me?
4. C omprehend - Am I understanding what I am reading?
5. K now - I know most of the words

The children also practiced building their reading stamina again today. This time they made it to 5 minutes. We will continue to build our reading stamina every day. Ask your child to explain what stamina means. Tomorrow we will review the Daily 5 components we have learned so far: what good readers do, stamina, and I PICK good-fit books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment